Friday 20 June 2008

on the road



It was a lazy friday morning when I decided to bale out work and to go in an already to short weekend escapade. It was then when I took this shoot, after two hours of jolty railway road. I must confess that it wasn’t a matter of great precision, but rather a case of luck. Either way… looking at it, my mind flew away at Jack’s Kerouac novel – On the road – even if it has nothing to do with jazz or with the american culture in general. On the other hand, I share the same fascination with the idea of humanity and I wonder , just like him, what is the dynamics of my eclectic group of friends, so different characters, so turn apart by values, but still brought together by common passions.

Further more, even if my age has nothing to do with the so called “beat generation” I must admit that I find my self filled up with the same disillusion. Reading about Kerouac’s novel, some years ago, I stumbled upon an article of Clellon Holmes, a friend of the novelist, who said, among other things, one great truth “the absence of personal and social values is not a revelation shaking the ground beneath them (… or us), but a problem demanding a day-to-day solution. How to live seems to them (… us again) much more crucial than why”. Nevertheless, that’s why for me, as for Kerouac, “the only people are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles”.

.. after all this thoughts from just one simple shoot, I think I easily qualify for the category “mad ones”…

No comments: